Archaeological remains are well known across Cannock Chase ranging from prehistoric monuments to medieval iron workings. However, the most extensive archaeological remains, although perhaps not the most obvious, relate to the two Great War training camps which occupied the Chase between 1915 and 1919. These were known as Brocton Camp and Rugeley Camp. The camps, when completed, could hold up to 40,000 men at one time and probably trained upwards of 500,000 men. They had all their own amenities including a church, post offices and a bakery as well as amenity huts where the troops could by coffee and cakes, or play billiards. There was even a theatre. A hospital serving both Brocton and Rugeley camp was established at Brindley Heath in 1916. The hospital had twelve wards with a total of one thousand beds and served the camps for the remainder of the war, as well as housing convalescing soldiers from France.
Also located on the Chase near Sherbrook Valley are a Commonwealth War Cemetery and the German Military Cemetery containing the graves of 5,000 German Servicemen from two World Wars.